Thursday, May 31, 2007

Portraits in Progress


Each canvas is 48"x32"

I haven't posted in a couple of days because I have been working diligently on my portrait commissions. As you can see, they are basically roughed in, with the background suggested but by no means finished. This isn't a stage normally shown to anyone, as it might scare people off, especially the client! I like working this way when working from a photo as it is similar to the method I use when working from life. I have done studies of these kids from life and photos prior to beginning these paintings.

Because these portraits are going to hang side by side, I am painting the backgrounds so that they look like one is a continuation of the other. They can, of course, always be hung in separate areas of the home.

I would love to squeeze in a couple of small ones, but can't do it right now. Be sure to comment or ask questions below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Todd Bonita said...

Hey Pat,
Glad you checked into my blog with your kind words, it prompted me to cruise over to your blog and see what you are up to...awesome work here my man, I really like how you lay out your portrait commission. I for one enjoy seeing how artist work, no need to apologize for the work-in-progress. Clever to make the backround work for both, you're a smart painter. I like your Barque copy below too, I tried my hand at these about 2 years ago, always great practice. I may have to open that book again. Glad I checked in, your stuff looks awesome, I'll stop in again soon.

be good,
Todd